Residents give high praise in 2020 National Community Survey
Ninety-eight percent of the people who live in Eagan rate the quality of life as excellent or good
Every two years, we conduct a community survey. Residents answer questions about about their quality of life, local policies, city services and demographics. The insights from the survey provide the City Council and staff a performance benchmark and insights for future planning.
Ninety-eight percent of residents who responded to a recent survey call Eagan's quality of life excellent or good. In fact, the City is rated highly in a majority of categories in this scientific survey conducted by Eagan and an independent research firm.
Every two years, this national community survey gauges residents' perceptions, tracks results over time, and makes regional and national comparisons among 600 cities. Overall, the survey aims to answer one key question: What makes a community livable and attractive, and a place people want to be?
Virtually all residents gave excellent or good ratings to Eagan as a place to live and a place to raise children, plus its overall quality of life. Ninety-five percent of respondents would recommend living here and plan to remain in Eagan for the next five years.
At least 9 in 10 residents positively rated the overall image or reputation of Eagan and its overall feeling of safety. Many ratings were higher than those given in other communities across the nation, in communities with populations and household incomes similar to Eagan's, and to other Twin Cities-area communities.
Top Five Community Priorities:
Eagan residents rated the following categories as their top priority for the City to focus on over the next two years (percent of residents that rated essential or very important):
- Economy: 93
- Public safety: 93
- Natural environment: 93
- Parks and recreation: 89
- Infrastructure: 89
By the Numbers:
Eagan residents ranked Eagan above national benchmarks in the following community characteristics (percent of residents that rated the characteristic excellent or good):
- Overall quality of life: 98
- As a place to live: 98
- Economic health: 92
- Feeling of safety: 94
- Quality of natural environment: 97
- Quality of parks and recreation opportunities: 96*
- Quality of infrastructure: 94*
- Health and wellness opportunities: 97
- Customer service: 96
- Government performance: 92
*Eagan was the top-rated community by their residents nationally in that category
- The Economy is a resident priority and also a community feature.
- Eagan’s Natural Environment and Parks and Recreation continue to be highly rated community amenities that are important to residents.
- Government performance and public trust ratings in Eagan continue to shine.
Eagan was a top-five rated community by its residents in:
- value of services for taxes paid,
- overall confidence in Eagan government,
- generally acting in the best interest of the community,
- being open and transparent to the public,
- informing residents about issues facing the community.
About the Survey:
Every two years, Eagan partners with an independent research firm to conduct a scientific survey of our residents. In 2020, surveys were sent to 2,700 random households in Eagan, and the City received 522 responses. The research firm used those responses to get a statistically valid sample for our community’s results.
Connect with the City and find input opportunities at Engage with Eagan.
Highlights of the 2018 National Citizen Survey
- The quality of life in Eagan remains extremely high, with 96% of residents rating excellent or good.
- Nearly every survey respondent (99%) rated Eagan as a place to live as excellent or good.
- Ratings increased over 2016 in the areas of overall image of Eagan and Eagan as a place to raise children.
- More respondents in Eagan rated vibrant commercial areas and recreational opportunities favorably than in other communities across the country.
- Safety ratings remained strong with almost all residents giving high marks to the overall feeling of safety (91%) and their feelings of safety in their neighborhoods (98%) and in Eagan's commercial areas (97%).
- Eagan residents continue to be satisfied with the value of services for taxes paid, with nearly 8 in 10 rating as excellent or good.
- Residents identified safety, natural environment, and economy as priorities for the City in the next two years.
- Availability of affordable housing and the variety of housing options in Eagan continues to be an emerging issue for residents.
- The City exceeds the national benchmark of more than 500 communities across the country on half of the aspects measured.
- Nearly all residents gave positive ratings to the overall quality of life and Eagan as a place to live.
- Around 9 in 10 residents rated the overall image of Eagan, their neighborhoods, and overall appearance of the community as excellent or good.
- Resident loyalty is high, with 9 in 10 residents saying they plan to remain in Eagan for the next five years and would recommend living in Eagan to someone who asks.
- Safety ratings were strong with almost all residents giving high marks to the overall feeling of safety and their feelings of safety in their neighborhoods and in Eagan's commercial areas.
- 9 in 10 residents rated the overall economic health as excellent or good.
- The overall quality of City services was rated as excellent or good by 9 in 10 respondents.
- More residents in Eagan than elsewhere rated the value or services for taxes paid, the overall direction of the City, and their confidence in City government favorably.
- Services including police, fire, sewer, and parks received positive ratings from 9 in 10 residents.