For additional permit information and general construction questions, call or email
Permits are required whether a contractor or the homeowner performs the work. Projects are not complete until a final inspection is approved by a City inspector. If any code issues are identified, they will need to be corrected by the permit applicant before the permit can be closed.
- New construction
- Attached or detached garage
- Lower level modifications
- Drain Tile
- Fireplace or stove
- Building move
- Radon mitigation systems
- Roof replacement/repair
- Siding replacement/repair
- Solar installations
- Retaining walls greater than 4 feet in height
- Tents, with sides, greater than 400 square feet
- Tents, without sides, greater than 700 square feet
- Heating and/or cooling equipment
- Air Conditioner
- Air Exchange
- Basement finish
- Water heater
- Water softener
- Underground sprinkler system
- Septic abandonment
- New construction
- New, rerouted or removed fixtures
Electrical permits are issued through the State of Minnesota. Permits and additional information may be obtained online.
Electrical inspections are provided by a State Electrical Inspector. To schedule an electrical inspection, please contact Pete DeGrood at (507) 210-0754 between 7:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., Monday through Friday. Additional information is available online at www.degroodinspections.com.
Please contact the Code Enforcement at (651) 675-5690 or email
This information is written only as a guide. It is not intended, nor shall it be considered, a complete set of requirements. If you would like to submit a question or request about a sign, please visit the Request Center.
- Patios, sport and tennis courts
- Driveway replacement/expansion and sidewalks
- One-story detached structures used as tool or storage, play houses/structures and similar uses, not to exceed 200 square feet in building area (multi-story structures or those larger than 200 square feet require a building permit)
- Retaining walls less than 4 feet in height (retaining walls 4 feet and taller require a building permit)